Maintenance Requests & Tips
For 24 hour emergency service please call 515-233-3390
- Tenants are responsible for replacing their own light bulbs unless it is a fluorescent light in which case we will replace these bulbs.
- When replacing light bulbs be sure not to exceed the recommended wattage.
- Tenants will also be responsible for replacing batteries in battery-operated smoke detectors as necessary; do not tamper with the detectors, disable or deliberately remove batteries. Any detectors found disconnected or without functioning batteries will be subject to a $10.00 fine or current replacement cost for missing detectors.
- Each apartment should purchase a plunger for unclogging the stool.
- You will be charged for maintenance when routine plunging is needed.
- Toilet paper is the only acceptable paper product to flush through the system. Do not dispose of sanitary napkins, diapers, facial tissue or cotton swabs. You will be charged a service call if any of these products cause a sewer backup.
- Also let us know if it is running a lot so we can repair it right away as this will affect the water bill.
- The proper way to use your garbage disposal is to first put any large pieces of food in your actual garbage/trash, do not stuff a bunch of food in it; the disposal is only for small amounts of food.
- Second, always turn your faucet on and let the water run then turn your garbage disposal on, when done turn your garbage disposal off and then your water off. A service call will be billed to the tenant if any foreign objects have jammed the unit.
- The following items should not be put down the garbage disposal: Fats & Greases, Bones, Pasta & Rice Products, Fibrous food waste(celery, banana, potato peels, etc…)
- Do not run your air conditioning if the outside temperature is below 65 degrees. It could freeze up and cause you to be charged for the repair.
- Your thermostat for the heat should be kept at 72 and under-you will be charged a surcharge if this is abused.
- Check with the City of Ames, they have a special program regarding your electricity and will give you a lower bill if you join up to be energy efficient.
- Residents are responsible for cleaning and maintaining their apartments at all times, including proper removal of trash.
- If we see that the apartment needs to be cleaned, we will notify the residents to clean the apartment and we will stop and check that it is done. If the apartment did not get cleaned we will hire a cleaning company and the resident will be charged.
- Painting the apartment is prohibited
- Residents are responsible for proper care of all major appliances.
- When running the dishwasher, take care not to allow silverware and cooking utensils to get caught in the bottom.
- Be sure to use automatic dish washing detergent only. Do not use regular dish soap.
- Residents must be sure to shut their exterior windows when it rains or snows.
- Also if windows are left open when it’s extremely windy this may cause damage so be sure to keep windows open only when the weather permits.
- Utilities must remain on thru the duration of your lease agreement even if you are gone as stated in the lease agreement.